Calling all friends of P! The recently revamped line-up of The Rentals, led by former Weezer bassist Matt Sharp, are inviting you into their studio. After reuniting for a tour celebrating their debut album, Return of the Rentals in 2007, the band has embarked on a new and rather ambitious project entitled, Songs About Time.
This year-long endeavor, a “multimedia” project of sorts, is separated into three sections, or “mini-albums.” Photographs About Days will have one photo posted each day that will chronicle songs about time. Films About Weeks will present 52 films in 52 weeks, featuring music specifically scored for each short video. Songs About Time, the third and most important section, will release three, digital mini-albums over a span of six months (April, July, and October). All of the mini-albums will be available to stream or download. I assume mini-album is a fancy way of saying EP.
As a bonus, here is a breakdown on what will be offered to fans if they order the limited edition box set, which will follow the individual releases later this year:
– All three mini-albums in a high quality MP3 format (100% DRM-free)
– Digital booklet and artwork
– All Songs About Time music videos
– Exclusive unreleased music and outtakes from the Songs About Time recording sessions
– Selections of the original score from the Film About Weeks soundtrack
– Digital extras pack with wallpaper, banners and icons
MULTIPLE VINYL BOX SET (180 GRAM):
– A physical representation of original artwork
– Films About Weeks high-def DVD video collection
– Compact disc featuring all the music from Songs About Time
– Compact disc featuring the complete original score from the Films About Weeks soundtrack
– Each box set will be individually numbered and signed by The Rentals
THE FIRST 365 PEOPLE TO PURCHASE THE LIMITED EDITION DELUXE BOX SET WILL ALSO RECEIVE:
– A one-of-a-kind undeveloped roll of 35mm film taken by Matt Sharp during a single day in 2009
– Two V.I.P. backstage passes to an upcoming Rentals show of your choice
The ongoing Songs About Time project can be viewed now.