A new day, a new slew of festival news. Lets round up all the important info in todays edition of CoS Festivals in Brief:
Things don’t look to be going all that great in the world of Alabama based City Stages right now. Jane’s Addiction canceled its scheduled headlining appearance earlier this week, and now, news has surfaced that the festival, which is scheduled to take place from June 19-21 at Birmingham’s Linn Park, currently faces a debt of $550,000. Organizers hope to fix both problems soon – “We’re steadily looking for who the replacement is going to be,” City Stages President’ George McMillan notes of Jane’s cancellation, while organizers believe they might be able to break even by the end of the year. In the meantime, City Stages recently added a few new names to the bill, including Dierks Bentley, Plain White T’s, Wild Sweet Orange, and Hill Country Revue.
Another week, another slew of acts announced for Summerfest ’09. Among those now scheduled to stop by Milwaukee between June 25th and July 5th are Elvis Costello & the Imposters, Stevie Wonder, John Legend, The Veronicas, Phil Vassar, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Lita Ford, and Huey Lewis and the News. Expect even more names soon (click here for up-to-date lineup); pick up your Marcus Amphitheater – yes, you have to pay separately to see the headliners, and and general admission passes via Ticketmaster.com.
Calgary Folk Festival:
The Calgary Folk Festival is the latest of the Canadian folk festivals (yes, there is more than one) to share its 2009 lineup. The Decemberists, Michael Franti and Spearhead, and Gomez head the bill, while Apostle of Hustle, Iron & Wine, Arrested Development, and Alejandro Escovedo make up some of the other names of notes. Tickets are currently available via the festival’s ticket website.
Ranger Dave promises more additions to this year’s Outside Lands lineup in the coming days. Expect Albert Cross, Cage The Elephant, and Zion I to be among them. Maybe a body guard for Pearl Jam too? Advance three-day and VIP passes are still available via sfoutsidelands.com.
- Between July 15th and 19th, some of blues’ best acts will descend on Minneapolis, Minnesota for this year’s Deep Blues Festival. That’s one reason to go, the other being the people putting it on seem to be like really cool folks – it’s a true grassroots campaign.
- The Crystal Method is the latest electro heavy-weight to be added to this year’s Electric Daisy Carnival.
- Elvis Costello & the Imposters will also be playing the Winnipeg Folk Festival this year – hey, look, another Canadian folk festival!
- Anvil is the latest addition to the Canadian edition of Rock on the Range.
- For its upcoming appearance at ATP New York, Caribou will be joined by Marshall Allen, Sun Ra Arkestra leader and Arkestra member for over 50 years. They will be performing both new and old Caribou.