Judee Sill was a singer/songwriter from Oakland, California. She was the artist signed to David Geffen’s Asylum label, and during the 1970s, released two highly acclaimed studio albums on it. This music eventually caught the attention of such acts as Fleet Foxes, Warren Zevon, and Graham Nash, all of whom have recorded or performed her material, but not before Sill died November 23, 1979 due to a drug overdose. She was 35-years-old.
November 23, 2009 will mark the 30th anniversary of Judee Sill’s untimely passing. To commemorate the occasion, American Dust will look to honor the often under appreciated musician with a tribute album featuring some pretty big heavy-hitters. Entitled Crayon Angel: A Tribute to the Music of Judee Sill, the 15-track effort will consist of Sill covers from Beth Orton, Bill Callahan, Ron Sexsmith, Final Fantasy, Nicolai Dunger, Marisa Nadler & Black Hole Infinity, Colossal Yes (with members of Six Organs of Admittance and Comets on Fire), Meg Baird, Frida HyvÃ¶nen, and Daniel Rossen (of Grizzly Bear and Department of Eagles fame). What’s more, Crayon Angel will also include two new Judee Sill-penned songs for which sheet music, but no known original recordings, survive – Beth Orton and Bill Callahan have the honors on “Reach for the Sky” and “Like a Rainbow” respectively.
Crayon Angel: A Tribute to the Music of Judee Sill hits record stores on September 22nd via American Dust.
Crayon Angel: A Tribute to the Music of Judee Sill Tracklist:
01. Ron Sexsmith – “Crayon Angel”
02. Beth Orton – “Reach for the Sky”
03. Daniel Rossen – “Waterfall”
04. Frida HyvÃ¶nen – “Jesus Was a Cross Maker”
05. Shalants – “Lopin Along Thru the Cosmos”
06. Final Fantasy – “The Donor”
07. Nicolai Dunger – “Soldier of the Heart”
08. Trembling Blue Stars – “Lady-O”
09. Colossal Yes – “The Phoenix”
10. Marissa Nadler & Black Hole Infinity – “The Kiss”
11. Princeton – “Down Where the Valleys Are Low”
12. The Bye Bye Blackbirds – “There’s a Rugged Road”
13. Meg Baird – “When the Bridegroom Comes”
14. Bill Callahan – “For a Rainbow”
15. P.G. Six – “Til Dreams Come True”