Farrar & Gibbard detail forthcoming collaboration plans

Last month, we told you about a pretty nifty new collaboration between Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard and Son Volt’s Jay Farrar. Basically, the two rock mainstays united after both being tapped to provide some musical contributions for an upcoming a documentary about American author/poet/painter Jack Kerouac. As Farrar explained in an interview with the Riverfront Times, things took off after the two hit the studio together.

“I did work with Ben on this recording project, which started out as each of us contributing songs to a documentary about Jack Kerouac, he explained. “We both wound up in the studio together, just sort of decided to take a step further and record a whole batch of songs. It’s kind of evolved into a real project. I guess there aren’t a whole lot of details about it yet, but it’s in the works, and it could possibly come out in the fall, like around October — which I think is a Jack Kerouac anniversary of sorts.”

That was last month. Today, thanks to a new interview between Gibbard and Spinner.com, we know know all the details. As it turns out, the collaboration has resulted in a 12-track effort. It’s titled One Fast Move or I’m Gone: Kerouac’s Big Sur, billed as Jay Farrar and Benjamin Gibbard (duh!) and is scheduled to hit stores on October 20th via F-Stop/Atlantic.

Musically, the album is said to be heavily influenced by Kerouac’s 1962 novel Big Sur (duh x2!). “It ultimately wound up being about 90 percent direct links to Jack’s poems and phrases,” Gibbard explained to Spinner.com. The remaining 10 percent were added only for structural reasons.

The album will come in four different physical options: CD, CD+DVD, a box set packaged with the CD+DVD, the novel, and a 40 page book on the film and finally a vinyl version. It will also be heard on the film (duh x3!), which is scheduled for release that same day (October 20th).

And as an added bonus, Farrar and Gibbard plan to tour in support of the release for this winter. Monsters of Kerouac, anyone?

One Fast Move or I’m Gone: Kerouac’s Big Sur Tracklist:
01. California Zephyr
02. Low Life Kingdom
03. Willamine
04. All in One
05. Breathe Our Iodine
06. These Roads Don’t Move
07. Big Sur
08. One Fast Move or I’m Gone
09. Final Horrors
10. Sea Engines
11. The Void
12. San Francisco


Follow Consequence