In case you haven’t heard, The Flaming Lips are releasing their newest LP, Embryonic, on October 13th. To educate/remind people of this wondrous fact, Wayne Coyne and Co. have the publicity train working at full force.
To begin, last night saw the Lips take to The Colbert Report for an interview and a performance of the Embryonic track, “Convinced of the Hex (via Prefix). And while no confetti and giant beach balls were dispersed, the band did not leave before handing over a copy of the new album, which is now streaming in its entirety on the Colbert website.
As for what’s on tap? Well, on September 22nd, the band will debut a brand new video for “I Can Be A Frog”, aka the song which features Yeah Yeah Yeah’s Karen O providing backing animalistic sounds, on its MySpace.
There are also a few rather special dates to mark on your calender.The Lips have confirmed that they will indeed play their hometown of Oklahoma City on New Year’s Eve, December 31, 2009, at the Cox Center. Tickets for the show will go on sale Saturday September 19th. Ticket prices range from $10, $20, and $25 (plus venue/transaction fees). Special Guests will be Oklahoma brethren and labelmate Stardeath and White Dwarfs.
This date will be proceeded by another one you may have heard of. On October 24th, the band will hit Oklahoma City for the third annual “March of 1,000 Flaming Skeletons” Halloween parade. Costumes are suggested, flaming torches will be provided. Click here for all the info.
And that’s a bit it for now. Well, that is unless you have already pre-ordered Embryonic in any of the following formats:
- A standard CD, featuring 18 tracks.
- A limited-edition deluxe package, designed by the Lips themselves, that includes two CD’s (18 tracks plus a bonus audio DVD of the full album) and a custom hardcover book featuring 24 pages of full-color art, lyrics, and band photos.
- Vinyl with a single gatefold jacket that includes two colored LP’s.
- A Direct to Consumer package, which will be sold as a digipack inside of a custom “fur” box and includes two CDs, plus a bonus 96k 24bit-super resolution audio DVD (256 times higher resolution rate than standard CD audio), and an exclusive album artwork lithograph. Some of these prints will come autographed by the band.
- A super MEGA Deluxe vinyl edition that is so epic it has yet to be detailed.
Boy, these guys sure know how to make you salivate…
The Flaming Lips 2009 Tour Dates:
10/18 – San Francisco, CA @ Treasure Island Music Festival
10/31 – Oklahoma City, OK @ March of 1,000 Flaming Skeletons
11/01 – New Orleans, LA @ Voodoo Experience
11/06 – Lubeck, DE @ Rolling Stone Weekender
11/07 – Hamburg, DE @ Herning Concerthall
11/09 – Brussels, BE @ Ancienne Belgique
11/10 – London, UK @ Troxy
11/11 – London, UK @ Troxy
11/13 – Portsmouth, UK @ Guildhall
11/15 – Glasgow, UK @ O2 Academy
11/16 – Manchester, UK @ Academy
11/17 – Birmingham, UK @ O2 Academy
12/31 – Oklahoma City, OK @ Cox Center