Leonard Cohen has had an amazing past couple of years. With his 40th anniversary as a Columbia artist in 2007 to his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2008, the legendary songwriter took advantage of these career milestones with a critically-acclaimed tour that went around the globe.
But it doesn’t stop there, folks. If you missed out on his trek last time around, you’re in luck. Songs From the Road, a brand new 12-song concert CD and DVD, will be released on September 14th via Columbia/Legacy, reports DirectCurrent.
As the title perhaps indicates, the release won’t focus on just one choice date. Instead, Songs From The Road will offer snapshots from his world tour at a variety of locals, such as Ramat Gan Stadium in Tel Aviv, the Royal Albert Hall in London, and the 2009 Coachella Music Festival.
If you love bonus features, this release is chock-full of them. The DVD and Blu-ray will include a 20-minute behind the scenes backstage interview with the individual band members, conducted by Leonards daughter, Lorca Cohen. Still holding out for more? How about two different sets of annotations, one being a rare album liner notes essay written by Leon Wieseltier and the other being detailed track-by-track insiders commentary written by producer of sound/video recording Ed Sanders? Yeah, we thought you’d like that.
The footage, which was filmed in high-def and recorded in 5.1 surround sound, and the rest of the aforementioned will be released in two different packages. The DVD+CD package will be an oversized 2-disc softpak, similar to last year’s release of Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970. The Blu-ray will be in a standard amray case. If you just want the audio, a gatefold, 180 gram vinyl LP of the 12 tracks will be available as well.
The tracklist found below is the same across all editions of the release.
Tracklist for Songs From the Road:
01. Lover, Lover, Lover (Ramat Gan Stadium, Tel Aviv, Israel, September 24, 2009)
02. Bird On the Wire (Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland, November 6, 2008)
03. Chelsea Hotel (Royal Albert Hall, London, England, November 17, 2008)
04. Heart With No Companion (Oberhausen King Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen, Germany, November 2, 2008)
05. That Dont Make it Junk (O2 Arena, London, England, November 13, 2008)
06. Waiting for the Miracle (HP Pavilion, San Jose, California, November 13, 2009)
07. Avalanche (Gothenburg Scandinavium, Gothenburg, Sweden, October 12, 2008)
08. Suzanne (MENA Arena, Manchester, England, November 30, 2008)
09. The Partisan (Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland, October 10, 2008)
10. Famous Blue Raincoat (O2 Arena, London, England, November 13, 2008)
11. Hallelujah (Coachella Music Festival, Indio, California, April 17, 2009)
12. Closing Time (John Labatt Centre, London, Ontario, May 24, 2009)